Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I begin?
Want to Participate? Just register here and join us! You can now create and manage your own personal page, share your photos, goals and get sponsors to contribute funds on your behalf.
Want to sponsor a participant? Click here for details.
If you have further questions, please contact Leah Shepard at
2. What are Move-A-Thon options and routes?
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
● Walk/Roll: Walk/roll to and then around Harriet Island and/or
● Bike: Here’s a sample 8-mile route and a 15-mile route
● Hike: Hike the Lilydale Brickyards trail to the Mississippi River and back
● Kayak/canoe: Do a tour of Pickerel Lake
● Dance party in your own backyard
● Other ideas?
Any form of movement is welcomed! Have a picnic afterward to celebrate your success! Share a photo of your activity on our Facebook page!
3. What does pledging to the Move-A-Thon mean, exactly?
By committing to this event and pledging to raise money for its success, you are helping raise invaluable funds to enhance the quality of life for all on the West Side, especially people of color who have historically been disenfranchised. Your support helps WSCO continue to build collective power to advance justice and racial equity for all in our community.
We wish you all the success possible. Get creative, stretch yourself, enjoy your Move-A-Thon … and get all the sponsors you can, so when you finish, we will all be winners – you, and everyone in our community!
4. How can my sponsors submit payment?
Online contributions can be made by credit card on the participant’s personalized page found on this website. Just make sure to tell your sponsors to select your name from the list of participants.
5. I am concerned that I might not be able to raise the required funds. Will I be able to do it?
Even if you've never raised money before, our materials and strategies will make it easy for you to solicit and collect sponsorships from friends, family, colleagues, neighbors, and others. Experience has shown that it is not only possible, but enjoyable, to set and reach your goals. Please refer to the sample letters found on your personal fundraising page center, that explains the programs the Move-A-Thon supports, and you will be surprised to see how quickly friends, family, and co-workers will respond to your request to help this wonderful cause. Just remember to make it personal as well, as you want them to know that they are sponsoring YOU and YOUR efforts! And, as many companies offer charitable donation matching programs, make sure to ask your sponsors to check with their employers, as it will help you meet your goal ever more quickly.
6. Is this only for athletes?
No! The Move-A-Thon is designed as a day of fun and movement for the whole family. We encourage you to select an activity your team will all enjoy!
7. Do you move alone or as a team?
Either! Participants can do their selected activity alone or create their own team.
8. Where can I get more ideas for Move-A-Thon activities and routes?
Follow WSCO on Facebook and feel free to post a question there. We’ll also be updating our page with more activity and route ideas.
9. I am immunocompromised, or I don’t feel comfortable leaving my house. Can I still participate?
Yes! There are lots of activities you can do right from your own home! Examples include an online yoga class, a living room dance party, a sit-up challenge, a chair exercise session, and more! Feel free to contact us for more ideas.
10. Is there a refund/exchange policy?
Yes. If a donation was made accidentally or for the wrong amount, simply make us aware of the issue and we will be happy to make any necessary refunds, changes or corrections. Move-A-Thon registration fees are not refundable.